We all felt it during the height of the pandemic- not being able to spend time with family and friends was really rough. But now that things are opening up more, I’m encouraged to see more and more people bringing friends with them to their Pilates classes! Not only is this a fun time for everyone, working out with your friends or significant other can actually improve your relationship- BONUS!
- Exercise makes you more confident- and confidence is sexy: Recent studies have found that our confidence in ourselves and our belief in our own abilities is tied to how much exercise we do. Those who exercise more feel more confident, have higher self esteem and a better body image. This has a positive effect on both our friendships and our intimate relationships.
- Enhances your bond with your partner: While spending quality time with a partner can in and of itself strengthen the relationship, research has shown that couples that participate in new and or exciting activities together reported higher increases in their relationship quality versus couples who completed “mundane” tasks together. Duet sessions are a great way to mix things up: every session is different and will keep you on your toes!
- Sweat sessions can increase your attraction to your partner: It’s a common myth that Pilates won’t get your heartrate up. Though the movements are intricate, they work many muscles at once, giving you quite the workout. Not only is this good for your health, it can increase attractiveness within the relationship! In a recent experiment, partners were randomly assigned to perform a physical task either at low or high intensity. After completion of the task, participants answered questions regarding their attractiveness to their study partner. Those participants who performed the task at the higher intensity reported greater attraction for their study partners.
- Keeps you accountable to your workout goals: We’ve all been there- it’s been a long day with the kids/at work and you can either put on your comfy clothes and hop on the couch, or head over to the studio for a Pilates workout. When you have a workout buddy like your spouse or a friend, you’re more likely to skip the couch and stick to the workout! Studies of married couples have shown that those who joined a gym or studio together tended to attend more sessions and stayed members longer than those individuals who joined alone.
- Helps us be more adventurous: For someone who has never been to a Pilates session, it can be a little bit intimidating. Maybe you’ve been coming to the studio for years, but your partner hasn’t tried it yet. Coming in together for a class can decrease the apprehension many Pilates newbies feel and help them feel more comfortable and confident during the class. It’s easier to try new things when we do them with someone that we love. Trying new things keeps our minds and bodies young, and who knows- your partner or friend might just fall in love with Pilates as well!
Whether you choose to workout with us in-studio or virtually, bringing your partner along can boost your physical health, mental health, AND relationship health! Book a duet session with us today.