Stay Active to Protect Yourself
Though scientists are still trying to understand HOW physical activity boosts your immunity, some of the theories are:
- Physical activity may help flush bacteria out of the lungs and airways. This may reduce your chance of getting a cold, flu, or other illness.
- Exercise causes change in antibodies and white blood cells (WBC). WBCs are the body's immune system cells that fight disease. These antibodies or WBCs circulate more rapidly, so they could detect illnesses earlier than they might have before. However, no one knows whether these changes help prevent infections.
- The brief rise in body temperature during and right after exercise may prevent bacteria from growing. This temperature rise may help the body fight infection better. (This is similar to what happens when you have a fever.)
- Exercise slows down the release of stress hormones. Some stress increases the chance of illness. Lower stress hormones may protect against illness.
How to Stay Active During Shelter-In-Place
- Sign up for our online group or private classes! Our infrastructure to support online, LIVE group and private training is fully up and running and ALL you need is a wifi connection and a mat! Just sign up as you normally would through our web-site/MINDBODY and we will walk you through getting set up; step by step. Read more about our online classes here, or book one here.
Testimonials from people who are LOVING our online classes:
“This morning I had my session with Kristyn and let me tell you I was sweating! Great workout at home via Facetime on my iPad! Looking forward to our next session on Thursday! My body needs Pilates! Thank you to The Pilates Center!” - Andi
“Just took my first online Pilates class with Heather. It was so fun, I feel super strong. Melissa took it with me from her living room 180 miles away. It was good to see both of your pretty faces!” -Leah
- Relax with Essential Oils. Find a good meditation app in the app store, or YouTube one of the many mindfulness meditations, and get your meditation on. At this time in my diffuser, I’m switching between Release-- to help me let go of the anxiety, worry, uncertainty of the day--and Acceptance --to bring me always back to accepting myself and what is, and knowing that whatever happens, we’ll get through it together.
- Take short active breaks throughout the day. Exercise breaks as short as ten minutes add up! Set a goal to achieve the recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate physical activity. Consider things like cleaning around the house, playing with the kids, walking up and down your stairs if you have them, put on your favorite song and DANCE! Whatever you can do to incorporate movement into your day will help
- Walk. Even in small spaces, walking in place or walking around a small room can help. Do it while you’re on the phone, put your headphones in and a movie on your phone while you walk around your house
- Stand Up. Aim to interrupt your sitting or reclining time every 30 minutes by standing up. Give your body a good stretch to get your blood flowing.
These are trying times. The world has changed dramatically in the last 7 days, but one thing remains true: our commitment and mission to strengthen bodies, minds and spirits through mindful and functional movement. I believe with all my heart in the healing power of Pilates and will continue to innovate and adapt to our ever changing environment. We love and appreciate you all for sticking with us through this chaotic time: we will get through this together!
In Love and Health,